Monday, August 27, 2007

Rip-off Ryanair?

I am still in the UK, where there hasn’t been much of a summer, except for this bank holiday weekend, which has been absolutely magnificent. So while I was reading the papers over the weekend, I stumbled across the news that the folks at Ryanair are about to start charging £4 to check-in. Don’t believe me? Read it here.

I tend to agree with the comments in this article that this charge is pushing things just a little bit too far. Yes, the low cost airlines have unbundled the traditional flight ticket to a pay-as-you-go model, and they have made air travel more affordable to the masses. But, to be blunt, this charge will piss customers off. And it should play nicely into the hands of airlines like easyJet (no, I don’t own stock, but I did used to work for Stelios), provided they don’t become too greedy.

Guess I was wrong with my February 2006 prediction that the toilets would be the next thing to be monetized.

No comments: